8.29.2011

Kitchen Post #10 - Financial Breakdown

Some of you may be wondering just how much our kitchen remodel ended up costing. I know I would have been curious before I started on our remodel... So I'm going to attempt to break it down here. These are all approximations that I'm pulling from memory...but they should be fairly realistic.

Actual DIY Kitchen Remodel Financial Breakdown
  1. Cherry Custom Cabinets (Tools, Lumber) - $3,400 (but $1,900 of that, the tools, can be used on future projects)
  2. Countertops - $1,500 (but $1,000 of that, the tools, can be used on future projects)
  3. Electrical - Free (bartered)
  4. Lighting - $300
  5. Appliances - $2,500
  6. Sink - $200
  7. Floor Tile & Supplies - $700
  8. Backsplash Tile & Supplies - $200
  9. Drywall / Painting Supplies - $150
________________________________________________________
Total = $8,950
(minus $2,000 of that which was tools that can be used on future woodworking/tiling projects)
Total = $6,950

For fun, let's consider what the same kitchen would have cost if we had paid for the labor and installation of custom-built cherry cabinets and granite slab countertops. Again, these are basic approximations...

Theoretical Kitchen Remodel Financial Breakdown

  1. Cherry Custom Cabinets - $12,000
  2. Granite Countertops - $3,700
  3. Electrical - $3,000
  4. Lighting - $500
  5. Appliances - $2,500
  6. Sink/Plumbing - $400
  7. Floor Tile & Supplies - $2,000
  8. Backsplash Tile & Supplies - $300
  9. Drywall/Painting - $1,000
________________________________________________________
Total = $25,400

So essentially we saved $18,450 by doing our kitchen ourselves. And possibly even more. I don't even know what plumbers / electricians / cabinet installers typically charge since I didn't have to pay any. Anyways, gotta love DIY, right? It's the way to go in all areas I'm finding. And I'm lucky I married a man who is a "Jack of All Trades". I truly think that's how I'm able to be a stay at home mom these days, since we save so much money on everything!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...